York: Day Five, York Museum







I miss home today, but I had fun anyway. A few of us (Rachel (Buildings), Rebecca, Rachel (Medieval) and I) went to York Museum because we got library cards that give us free entrance to some of the cities sites and this museum will be closing for refurbishments at the end of this month-- we had heard it has a good Viking/Saxon silver collection so we stopped by. We met at the minster courtyard where there were live musicians and play actors performing. One of the performances was a rapier dance and one was a play of Robbin Hood. They were hilarious. The museum was also good. The workmanship on that coinage was amazing! I wished I had my jewelers loupe and could handle them for a better look but not. After the museum we also did a little shopping and attended evensong at York Minster. It was the feast day of St. Polinus (or something), who was the patron saint of York (I think). The singing group comprised of various ages of young boys, youth and men singing and they were very good. I also found two key Korean ingredients today at the Asian market, bean curd paste and red pepper paste. On to warm soups and delicious foods, very nostalgic for me!...

No comments: