Anyway, for my dissertation I'm going to be studying tithe barns in England. My idea comes from Vitruvius, because the Romans were awesome. Actually, it is much older than Vitruvius. I believe it would date to at least the ancient Egyptians, although this belief is unsubstantiated by actual literature-- it's just my hunch. Anyway, it is well known and also well accepted that people have been using "sacred" geometry for centuries to lay out and design their buildings. This involves using organized systems of proportions in every aspect of the design process, in some cases it applies to everything from the floor plan to the shape of the mouldings around the celing!
In Vitruvius' 10 Books on Architecture, Vitruvius talks extensively about the appropriate proportions and geometry that should be used design particular types of buildings. If you remember the buzz-word "golden rectangle" that is what I'm talking about. However, this idea is not restricted to the "classical" or "western" worlds. Apparently even in Japan they used the set measurement "ken" to design their tea houses. Variations in measurements of the ken are used to establish a basic "mat" size and then the proportions for tea houses were so many mats wide, and so many mats long. Also, Islamic architecture, particularly Iranian/Sufi architecture uses common systems of geometry and proportions in the designs of their mosques.
Anyway, in England, and elsewhere throughout the "western" world cathedrals and monumental buildings have been studied extensively to determine "rules" for proportions and geometry, however I know of only ONE person who studies this related to vernacular architecture. So, here comes my project, have you figured it out? I'm going to look at tithe barns as a type of vernacular architecture, to see if the idea of using geometry and proportions carried over into this aspect of English architecture. I will be creating a survey of all maps/floor plans/data of these buildings to explore something new and exciting, and its all my idea! Cool, huh?! Anyway, it will be a lot of work, but it will be exciting. I also have a few journals in mind where I think I will be able to publish something. ALSO, I received a bursary to go to the Vernacular Architecture Group conference in Durham in April, so that is great. I will be able to meet people in the field and see some cool buildings. I'm not sure if this is where I'll go w/ my phd, but we'll see. One step at a time, right?
Anyway, today we went to Wales. It was freakin' awesome. The weather was the best. It was sunny and blue skied all day. We went to two small towns in the vicinity of Snowdonia, which is apparently famous. At the first one we hopped a fence and just walked along a river. It was so clear and beautiful (the water). There were also good trees for climbing and I got pretty far into the river by walking on rocks, but I did get my shoes wet. The second place we went to was right at the base of Snowdonia and it was also neat. We walked to a water fall and then to the ruins of a 13th century castle/keep. It was awesome, but I was really irritated that there were so many beer bottles and cans everywhere. It was such a beautiful place, it just fell disrespectful to be leaving trash everywhere. Also, someone had pee'd on the top of the keep very soon before we arrived there and it wreaked!
Oh, and I suppose I never mentioned the stereotypes party we had. We all had to come dressed up as a stereotype from the country/region/state where we are from. Well, being from Utah I couldn't resist going as a polygamist's wife. It was a little scary how much everyone loved my costume. I decided after a few hours that the comments were getting out of hand so I changed into my Snoopy-Peace t-shirt instead. lol, that party was a looong night. They forgot to dilute the last batch of punch with sprite and people got pretty toasted.
A couple of weeks ago there was Viking festival in York. We got to watch people dressed up as Vikings do fighting demonstrations. I was hoping they would choose me to be a victim slave girl but they ran out of time, alas...
The other day I also saw this old lady hobbling down the street. She had a cane but wasn't using it. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I walked up next to her and she was holding this squirming cat. lol! She was trying to put him in the house because she was going on a trip and it kept getting out, so I took it from her and helped her put it away. It was hilarious. Then later I was walking by that house and saw a suspiscious grey cat, I only hope it wasn't the same one. Anyway, I got a great laugh out of that, silly kitty! Anyway, all for now, it's very late. The next time I write will probably be after I go to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day. Anyway, pictures to follow, night!
2 comments:
Does this mean you have to know math? What if you find out there is no mathematical whachamacallit to those tithe barns? What do you do then? jrs
In Japan, traditional houses and even apartments were/are built on the mat system. My first apartment (actually a little house behind a restaurant) was measured in mats. The term 'hachi jo futama' comes to mind, but I'm not sure what it means--something about eight mats. The mats are called tatami.
jrs
Post a Comment