D.C.: The First few weeks, 05/17/2011

I have now been in D.C. for a few weeks and am starting to feel settled. There is still one chair from IKEA that has yet to be put together and I inevitably can't find enough places to put all of my stuff. I'm not the world's best at organizing it, but I can say that the place has come leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. Its starting to feel put together. If only I could find my camera charger, or Ipod cable so I could take some pictures and them online, sorry! I ended up w/ a really cool couch and chair set, a nice table, a bistro set in the kitchen, two massive bookcases and a bed. My sister and her husband helped me put everything together, many of IKEAs things were really not meant to be put together alone.

Since being here I have gone to Philly to visit my brother once, and I am expecting my first visitor next week! I've been to the Library of Congress and picked up my Reader Identification Card, and I've visited the National Building Museum. The Building Museum is a really awesome building, but it is not really being used to its full potential. It's a huge space, and a lot of it is empty. It reminds me of the Roman baths in downtown Rome, Italy. HUGE inside and lots of cool colors and textures and details, even a fountain in the middle of the floor. I applied for a job there but have not heard back yet.

Job applications have been coming along slowly. I've applied for a couple with the National Parks Service, the National Building Museum, Habitat for Humanity, and most recently, with Rebuilding Together Capacity Corps, which is an AmeriCorps affiliate. I'm really excited about that job opportunity and am waiting on pins and needles to see if I get it. If not, I may just end up working as a bookseller at Politics and Prose in Chevy Case, MD... Its hard to know what I want to do when I grow up, but its even hard to know when and if I should give up dreams of having a job that I love. I hope not, but after a few weeks of looking and living alone, I'm ready for some more human interactions.

PS As of right now 8 of the 9 boxes I mailed have arrived. I'm a little sad about the 9th box, though, conveniently I can only say that I know I'm missing one book for sure and am not really sure what other books could have been in that box. Almost none of my boxes came in one piece and a few of my books were thoroughly damaged. Moral of the story: use SMALL quality boxes, tape the address on the box's natural top, and use good packing materials.

No comments: