The Great East Migration: Day 1, 11.APR.2011


Today was the first day of my next big adventure. Three weeks ago last Thursday my Grandmother, whom I had been living with since October, departed this earth to return to live with God and her loving husband. The following week I decided a move to D.C. was imminent. Two weeks later, on Friday, was my last day of work, and also the day of my father's mother's passing. So, after all of this craziness, the first day of the next phase of my life begins. The D.C.-bound migration phase.

We left Seattle late, but had time to pack like crazy people about 3 tons worth of stuff into my little baby cakes the 2001 Taurie, take final pictures with my cousin's little tykes, enjoy a wonderful Somalian lunch, and stop off at REI one last time for that ever important U-lock. On the road to our present location, Hermiston, Oregon, we traversed rain, hail, snow, sun and wind. In Sunny Side, Oregon we stopped at a Shell gas station just off the Interstate and saw an awesome old barn on a small hill overlooking where we were standing. The walls were bowed, so it was sort of shaped like the hull of a boat. Since it was on the top of a hill, the builders were able to cut out a basement area w/ big doors and erect concrete retaining walls that were opened to the valley. I'm not sure what kind of barn it is or what it was used for during the time when it was being used, but it was really cool, and not like anything I've seen before. We saw a few other barns on the way which were cool, but maybe not nearly as cool. This one doens't seem to be under anyone's care, at least it isn't being kept up, and it shares a lot w/ some hotel chain.We took some pictures and I'm thinking of looking it up later.

From Sunny Side we trekked onward to Hermiston, which is a little over the border of Oregon from Washington. Tomorrow we head for Salt Lake. Grandmother's funeral is to be on Friday and I will be playing my dulcimer at the viewing the night before and hte morning of. Julie joked about me accompanying her on my dulcimer in playing "From A Wig Wam", at least I think that was a joke.

All in all, it should be a fun and interesting few days. I'll make it there just in time to be at my friend's baby shower and meet up with a few others before everyone takes off for the end of term. We'll see how it goes, and I'll try to keep an accurate record to share. With much love

-Rose

1 comment:

Courtney N said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother... but I am really excited for your move and the start of a new chapter. Much love!