Easter...
On Thursday Shaneque, Rachel (Medieval) and I dyed Easter eggs! It was great fun. I dyed one blue and colored a pirate face on it w/ a parrot on its shoulder, but the parrot looked more like a penguin. The other one I liked was Russ's suggestion. I drew pajamas on it and then dyed the pajamas red. It turned out cute. I will try to post pictures.
On Friday I went to the stations of the cross meditation service at St. Michel-le-Belfry, in York. It's across the road from the minster and takes a little bit more contemporary approach to traditional services. I went with a friend to celebrate Good Friday. In England both Friday and Monday are bank holidays that we get off for Easter. Impressive, eh? It occured to me that we never really celebrate Good Friday, either in the church, or in the US. I was wondering why that is. In the church we never really have special services for anything, even Christmas eve, although we celebrate his birth and death just as much as any other religion. The only reason I can come up for this is that 1) the population of our church is so diverse, every area of the world has diverse ways of celebrating these holidays which have become culturally engrained, so by not having special services we allow all of our members to celebrate Easter/Christmas/whatever the way they traditionally (and culturally) would, 2) it means that we set aside time for the family to be together and to worship together, so the way we commemorate these holidays is totally up to us. These are busy times of year, so it makes sense to set aside some time for the family. Anyway, I don't know the actual reasons for this, but that's my thought.
On Saturday and Sunday we had general conference. I enjoyed most of the sessions and am taking time to review them online. I like waking up and listening to conference. On Sunday a few of my housemates and I (Rachel (Medieval) and Christine and Erin (friend of Rachel) made Easter dinner. It was so delicious. We had lamb, veggies, asparagus, sugary sweet potatoes, it was great. Below is the MOST delicious recipe we used for the lamb... which turned out soooo good.
Cranberry-Apple Syrup (originally supposed to be pomegranate, but we were poor)
4 c juice
1/2 c sugar
1 tblspn squeezed lemon
Combine everything and stir over medium heat until the sugar is all dissolved. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook until only 1 1/2 cups are left.
Lamb:
cut slivers into the lamb and put garlic cloves in there. cook the lamb according to the instructions on the packing. baste w/ syrup every thirty minutes.
Veg:
using the pan you will you to cook the lamb in, put olive oil in it and place it on a hob (oven thing). put sliced onions in there and cook until golden brown. Meanwhile, boil potatoes until only slightly done, drain and mix w/ the onions. Put the lamb in there and braise it about 10 seconds on all sides, add the rest of the veg, pour syrup over the lamb. Cover w/ foil until the last 30 mins.
So delicious. So much flavor its almost unbearable.
No comments:
Post a Comment